Monday, January 27, 2014

Blog # 1 Why Study the Internet



The internet is an interesting topic to talk about. There are times that it is easy for us to use and there are times that it isn't. As we study the internet, we will be able to understand it better and be able to navigate through the vast amounts of information coming through the internet. I believe that we study the internet is because we want to know what type of information we could get. Varying from searching for words to define, searching for locations on Earth, even information on the social lives of our friends and family. After careful thinking, I do believe that we are able to extend Foot’s methodology so that we could study social media sites.
When it comes to the internet, people are able to place and remove any type of information that they want.  I believe that we would have to change this in order for people of different ages to use the internet and be able to find what they are searching for without the need to go search for the site and end up with multiple sites with the same word but not the same content.
I do believe that there is a dynamic nature change in the SNS’s. The reason is because SNS’s are expanding and practically everyone has or will have an account on one of these sites. For example, there are a lot of people who have a Facebook, Twitter, or Blog account. As people post their thoughts and links on SNS’s, we are able to immediately find out what is happening. Also, as a society, we have started to connect to people online, making it easier for us to connect with them. For example, most of my classes this semester require me to communicate with my class and teacher through Twitter. So if I ever need additional notes or need to know something that happened in class that I missed, I am able to find out by searching my class tweet. This makes it easier for me than scheduling an appointment with the teacher to know what happened.
If a competitive study between Foot’s post 9/11 and the 2013 marathon bombing were to take place, I believe that it would result with high emotions and tons of feedback describing about the incident and their opinions about it. These events are considered dark days in our history books, and the SNS allows people to go in and express our emotions about the events from sadness to the loss of lives to the hatred and anger on the people that did it to us. Personally, I still believe that the 9/11 postings would still get the most responses. Though both of these events are the result of terrorist attacks, the 9/11 event took place before, took more lives and was an attack that hit deeply when terrorists hit the heart of New York City and it destroyed two of our national buildings. It is still something to remember in the history books.

No comments:

Post a Comment