After watching the Office Tigers, I have to say that it is
interesting to see how a business works as it is outsourcing out of America to
boost businesses and have lower waged employers to do the busywork of the
corporation. Also, it shows how globalization continues to expand in
businesses. I have to say that the topic of out-sourcing was presented to us
differently than I thought. I had a general idea about the outsourcing topic
before I saw the Office Tigers, but I was able to understand it more from
watching the documentary. In the video, I was also surprised to see how hard
the employees at the Office Tigers work. Compared to how much we work, they are
working a lot harder in my opinion. Some of the workers there are working 24
hour shifts. As for myself, when I was working as a lifeguard, I would usually
work for 3-4 hours a day for only a few days a week. Like most people, I try to
get as many hours to work as I can so that I’m able to get a bigger paycheck. However,
asking me to work for more than 18-24 hours a day, that is asking a too much
for me to do. It shows just how much hard work the Office Tigers put in for
their jobs.
When it comes to technology, it happens to play a big role
in globalization. The reason is because it is used all over the world. It is
because of technology that we have been able open the doors of many different
possibilities like communicating and being able to business overseas. An example would be the Office Tigers, which
is an American owned company in India. With many major companies working in
third world countries like India, this brings up the issue of cultural
imperialism. For instance, the people at Office Tigers have to tons of training
sessions that teach them how to speak “global English” (image below). They do
this in order to remove the trace of their accents when they are on the phone
with clients from the U.S.
Technology also plays
in the part of cultural imperialism. As new technologies become available to
people, we tend to leave the older models behind in order to get the new ones. Drori
mentions in “Global E-Litism” that new technology is “simultaneously a global
unifier and a global divider”. Meaning that even though the advances in technology in
the global communication aspect are meant to bring people around the world
closer together, most of the world still does not have access to this kind of
technology because they do not have the means to use it. As the major technological
countries continue to develop new technology that they have access to, the lesser
countries are left behind still trying to reach the same access of technology
as they have. It is my opinion that we
should allow the third world countries to catch up with us so that they are not
that far behind the rest of the countries. 
No comments:
Post a Comment